History of Trinders of Banbury
Trinders toy shop was founded in 1906 by Stanley and Albert Trinder. We have been trading in Broad St Banbury for 110 years.
Following a move down the street in June 2016 to 56-59 Broad St, our toy shop has had an extensive renovation. We have expanded our range and brought in larger stocks of toys, models, games, arts and crafts, and bicycles and accessories. We also have a sandwich bar catering business on the same site.
We have a long and interesting history. Trinder and Osborne opened for business ar 4 Broad St in 1906 selling cycles and accessories , sheet music , pianolas records and equipment. Mr Osborne later went on to open a separate music shop in the town.
In the 1920s the Trinder Brothers began the sale and repair of motor bikes together with other members of the family who had shops in other local market towns.
In 1945 the company began the sale of models and modeling accessories. In 1967 they moved into the sale of toys and games having purchased the adjoining shop at 2 and 3 Broad St. At this stage the business had become too large for the space available and the cycle dept was moved to new premises at 56-59 Broad St.
In 1985 this shop was expanded with the construction of a new second floor.
In 1996 the current owners of Trinders Peter and Hilary Allison bought Trinders Cycles at 56-59 and moved their existing business Banbury Cycles Ltd from Bridge st.
In 2000 the Trinders toy shop was purchased and the business retained the Trinders name (see photograph)
In 2016 the two businesses are now together again at 56 Broad St selling bikes, toys, models and craft. It is a wonderful business with so many regular customers old and young who tell tales of coming in as a child with their parents and grand parents of course now there is a much larger range of products stocked the latest being electric bikes and drones.
We welcome all customers old and new to an exciting retail offering in Banbury stocking the latest products with knowledgable and experienced staff